Monday 2 September 2013

New Reel...new hope...

I've been considering to buy a Bait Casting reel for some time but there is this hesistation that has stopped me from buying one.

It was few years back I tested an Abu Revo BC reel belonging to a friend.  The first cast itself produced a messy bird nest and my friend immediately took the reel and was not very amuse with the mess he had to clear up.

It was a very bad experience indeed and coupled that with stories about how a beginner had to sit out the whole fishing trip due to bird nest on his reel put off my interest in the reel.

It was not until early this year that my interest towards a Bait casting reel re-surfaced.  It was in a trip with Toman Harimau when he offered me to try out his Abu Garcia BC reel.  After a few casts, I managed to get a strike and the experience of hooking up a fish using a BC reel is totally different to using a spinning reel that I'm so used too.  He also gave me a lot of encouragement of using a BC reel as it offer better casting distance and accuracy.

So after going through numerous options of BC reel in the market, I finally made up my mind and bought a Shimano Caenan 101 Bait Casting reel.  I coupled the reel to a medium light Okuma Nemesis BC rod (6-12 lbs), equipped it with a 15 lbs Ajiking braided line and 20 lbs Ajiking mono shock leader.

The only down side of the whole thing was that I only bought everything on Saturday and I couldn't go fishing on Sunday due to other commitment (wife didn't approve application to go fishing) .

Anyway, a fisherman will always find a way to fish no matter what so I'm going over to Tasek Biru in Kundang after work today to cast using my new Bait Casting set for the first time.

Wish me luck guys...Fish On...Ride On...

The newest member of my family

No comments:

Post a Comment