Thursday 22 August 2013

Yamaha FZ150i....My Ride...(still a work in progress)

A standard Yamaha FZ150i 

As my main mode of transport on my angling trips, my trusted Yamaha FZ150i has been somewhat neglected.  More attention has been given to my fishing gears and the trips compared to the bike.

One of the reason for this is the fact that the bike is very reliable.  Few months back I had missed out the service interval by almost 2 months and when the mechanic wanted to empty the engine oil, there was nothing...absolutely nothing...not even a drop of oil was left in the engine.  The oils has basically dried out most probably due to the distance I travelled on daily basis.  I was surprised that the bike still runs perfectly without even a hint of problem.

The mechanic explained that this is one of the best 150cc engine ever built.  Not only does it comes with fuel injection but the engine is very reliable.  Since it's launch almost 5 years back, he has not seen any with major breakdown...no matter how badly abused the bike.

One of the reason I decided to buy the bike 4 years back was the fuel injection system.  It was the first bike of its size to be fitted with such system.  Over the years, the reliability of the bike made me appreciate owning it more.  It has gone through several changes it terms of how it looks, from a naked street fighter look to half fairing look to what it is now, a small touring bike.

I was inspired to start this blog during one of my fishing trips on the bike several months back.  It was a short ride from my place to Kota Puteri in Ijok but going fishing using a motorcycle has it challenges.  I had to carry a backpack just to enable me to place my fishing rod.  In several other ride later, I tried securing the rods at the side of the bike using ropes.  I later instaled a Givi box and it helps as I no longer need to carry a backpack.  But the rods still need to be secured using ropes and when it rains or when riding through muddy laces, the rods end up having to face the elements.

I learnt from friends that most anglers would place their rods inside a PVC pipe when travelling so decided to come up with my own rods carrier that would be attached to my bike.  After several try and error, I finally have a design that I'm happy with...

The rod carrier I designed and are now semi-permanently 
attached to my Yamaha FZ150i

With the rod carrier done and the Givi box giving me the required space to carry all my gears (for now), the next phase is to beautify the bike.  I started with sticking some angling equipment brand stickers.  It is still a work in progress so some of the stickers will eventually be removed.

I'm also planning to install side panniers to add to the storage space and to replace the wind shield with a taller one that will give me a better protection from the elements.

Givi side panniers and wind shield I plan to install on my bike


Once this is done, the next phase will be to add stickers and maybe some airbrush painting.  I'm working with my wife and some friends on the design, hopefully I will have the final design in the next few weeks.

Till then..this will be my ride...




Ride On...Fish On...






No comments:

Post a Comment